HISTORY OF THE STATION
Quorn & Woodhouse Station was opened in 1899 as part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway’s London Extension from Sheffield which became the Great Central Railway. It was intended to serve the villages of Quorndon, Woodhouse and Woodhouse Eaves. A small goods yard, Stationmaster’s house and railway hotel, The Manor, were provided. The station is of typical GCR London Extension design, with one double-sided island platform, reached originally from the road bridge. The island platform was cheaper to construct and more efficient to staff than the more traditional two-platform station.
In its heyday about 300 passengers a day used the station – workmen, clerks, typists and first class passengers too. At Bank Holidays, hundreds of visitors arrived for the beauty spots of Woodhouse Eaves and in the evenings flooded back onto the station and squashed back into their trains home.
Quorn & Woodhouse station was a popular station for releasing racing pigeons as the platform was open and there were no telegraph wires or obstructions. They often arrived in specially constructed Pigeon Carriages, one of which has been restored and runs in trains today.
Commercial activities were an important part of station life. A firm of builders’ merchants had a depot in the yard; there were also coal merchants and deliveries of cow-cake and fertiliser for local farmers. Timber was sent out by train from the Beaumanor Estate. There was also a steady flow of food and drink from Fortnum and Mason inLondon to nearby Beaumanor Hall.
During the 1920s the Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VIII and then the Duke of Windsor) was an occasional visitor as he enjoyed an outing with the Quorn Hunt. Express trains were stopped specially for him and he changed into his riding habit in the booking office with a porter posted outside.
The Great Central Railway became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at the Grouping of the railways in 1923.